Buy our books, donate books, volunteer in the bookstore.
September at the Bookstore: "The Good Old Days"
Used Book Store
What You'll Find
From five, large book sales and a few small book fairs held at the Hooper House during 1989 and 1900, the Friends used book store has grown into its current location on West Main Street in Sylva.
The shelves in the store are always filled with books including large print books, books on CD, magazines and music. All of which have been generously donated. Individuals may donate one book or an entire collection!
We take pleasure in knowing our prices make books affordable. The proceeds from the store support the new Library.
As a member of the Friends, whatever your talent, we welcome you as a volunteer in the bookstore. There are numerous ways to help:
• Greet and assist our customers
• Sort, price, and shelve books and other media
• Organize and straighten books and magazines
• Research rare or special books on the Internet
• Help create window and in-store displays
Open 7 Days
The Used Book Store, located on Main Street in downtown Sylva, is open seven days a week and is operated by dedicated Fol member volunteers. The inventory in the store is generously donated by the community.
Why FOJCPL Members Volunteer at our Bookstore
• The store is full of books. Our shoppers are readers.
• Conversations are about books. Book browsing is our official sport.
• You can nurture others by sharing your love of books and reading. Someone will find exactly what they are looking for because of your help.
• You can see what everyone else is reading. When unpacking donated books, you have first choice.
• Other volunteers get to know your reading tastes and save books for you. Someone one will listen to you talk about your favorite authors.
• If you need more reasons to volunteer, stop by the store and speak to anyone who works there. Each one of us has our own reasons for choosing the Friends of the Jackson County Library Used Bookstore as a place to volunteer our time.